Thank you for visiting the website of the UNI Culture and Intensive English Program.
The primary mission of the UNI Culture and Intensive English Program (CIEP) is to provide English language learners with high quality, intensive English instruction, as well as academic cultural orientation in preparation for study at the University of Northern Iowa or other institution of higher learning.
Through its many programs, events, and connections on and off-campus, the UNI CIEP seeks to accomplish the following:
- Teach English for Academic Purposes in the Intensive English Program in preparation for enrollment in academic programs at UNI.
- Collaborate with different academic programs at UNI to co-teach specialized sections and workshops for international and multilingual students to support their academic success in university classes.
- Support the UNI vision to promote diversity, equity and inclusion on campus and the community.
- Provide students with the cultural knowledge and awareness they will need to function well both academically and socially.
- Inform students about options and opportunities for academic study at UNI and encourage them to apply for admission.
- Recruit students internationally and domestically for participation in English language programs in order to develop cross-cultural and educational opportunities on the UNI campus.
- Serve as a resource for faculty, staff and students in English language instruction and cross-cultural orientation at UNI.
- Provide support to local school systems in preparing their English as a Second Language students for university study at UNI or other institutions of higher education.